Genius


Lecture: Nile Rodgers (Madrid 2011) - Part 1 from Red Bull Music Academy on Vimeo.

I'm in the studio at the moment with producer/mixer Jens L. Thomsen, who is mixing my upcoming 3rd album. When you're not the one doing the mixing you have a lot of time on your hands in between listening to mixes, so I watched this lecture last night. Óli Poulsen, Faroese music producer & guru, shared it on Facebook yesterday.

It's a thoroughly enjoyable and geeky talk/interview with American producer/guitarist Nile Rodgers. He and bassist Bernard Edwards were the main songwriters in legendary American disco/funk/r'n'b act Chic. Nile's production talents have graced many an awesome dance record.

As a DJ I have to say that I've come to rely on his work. His records have this incredible "chrome funk" sheen to them. At least that's what it sounds like to my ears. I call it "sheen" but it's not superficial. It's deep stuff you can dance to.

The lecture is highly recommended and below I've gathered some of the amazing stuff Nile has produced. Add to that the latest news that Nile Rodgers and Daft Punk are talking about making a record together. Pretty cool!







And let's not forget the stuff that's inspired by the Nile Rodgers/Chic sound. A track like "Good Times" alone has been the catapult for so many similar sounding tracks. Two notable examples are:


Respect!

Comments