Thoughts on Music pt. 2 (Brian Eno)

This is the second in a series of blogs where I will post...well...you guessed it; thoughts on music! Writing about music is a weird activity, but sometimes I stumble upon something that seems to say something interesting, essential, provoking and/or witty about music. These blogs will contain stuff that I stumble upon on the internet, in magazines, books & study related material. Up 2nd: Brian Eno.According to Wikipedia:
Brian Peter George St. John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno
[1] (born 15 May 1948), commonly known as Brian Eno (pronounced /ˈiːnoʊ/), is an English musician, composer, record producer, music theorist and singer, who, as a solo artist, is best known as the father of ambient music.

"In modern recording one of the biggest problems is that you're in a world of endless possibilities. So I try to close down possibilities early on. I limit choices. I confine people to a small area of manoeuvre. There's a reason that guitar players invariably produce more interesting music than synthesizer players: you can go through the options on a guitar in about a minute, after that you have to start making aesthetic and stylistic decisions. This computer can contain a thousand synths, each with a thousand sounds. I try to provide constraints for people."
-2009

Comments